Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas "Joy" Cookies

I've been so inspired with all the Christmas cookies I've seen all over Pinterest, so I decided to make some of my own. I tried my take on a "pieced" cookie, (I think that's what they're called) using separate cookie cutters to make one cookie.  

Anywho, here's a little how-to for those that are curious.





















A while back, I bought these Wilton cookie cutters at Jo-Anns. They came in a box of 101 so they really come in handy for all sorts of cookie themes.

I used SweetAmbs Sugar Cookie Recipe and Royal Icing Recipe and I have to say, this cookie recipe makes amazing and tasty cookies!

To decorate these cookies you will need:
  • White 20 second icing
  • Red (no-taste) 20 second icing
  • Mix leaf green and lemon yellow for a neutral green color. 20 second icing
  • The same green as above but piping consistency for the leaves

Begin by pressing each letter into the dough, making sure they overlap about 1/4 inch. Once they're done baking, let them cool overnight so that they're firm to work with the next day.

Outline and flood the cookie starting with the letter 'J'. I used a Wilton tip #2 for this. Notice I went around the letter 'O'. I wanted to give this cookie a layered effect so that's why I chose to do it this way. But you can go about this any way you like.

I quickly piped the red icing on top of the white icing. This technique is called "wet on wet". I used a Wilton #1 tip for this step. I wanted to give the letters a candy cane look.
Pipe and flood the letter 'Y' the same and also the center of the 'O'. 
Let them dry for about 20 minutes before moving onto the next step.



Outline and flood the 'O'. At this stage I let my cookies dry overnight or at least 8 hours so that I have a nice dry surface for the wreath. Pipe a simple outline of green icing with a Wilton #2 tip.



For the leaves you will need piping consistency icing, otherwise your leaves will puddle up into little pools of "oopsies" not that it happened to me <_< hehee
I used a Wilton #352 tip and randomly piped leaves to make it look like a wreath.
Using the same #1 tip of red icing, I piped the little "berries" on top of the leaves.



I made a couple more and alternated the colors. 
This is how they came out! 


If I had more time, I'd play around with making different words like "Merry Christmas" "Holly Jolly" "Ho-Ho-Ho" Ahh! The possibilities are endless. 

Have fun and please post a picture of your creation on my Facebook at www.facebook.com/TavitaCakes I'd love to see what your creative minds come up with!


To all those traveling during the Holidays, drive safe, and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


~Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment