Thursday, May 24, 2012

Safari Themed Cake (Fondant Cake #6)

This was my 6th fondant cake. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bright colors. My husband helped me bake the cakes. They were vanilla cakes with a strawberry buttercream frosting. I couldn't make black fondant so I had to go to Joann's and buy some zebra sugar sheets. They are so handy! Too bad I didn't let the buttercream set enough because the sides were bulging out a bit. At least it was an even bulge HAH! For the top tier I bought some edible food spray and sprayed it with a nice red color. It turned a bright orange on the cake which made a very nice effect. The gumpaste flowers took a while to make but it was so worth it! I made one orange flower and the other two were yellow...then I painted the details on. The cake base was made with white fondant and I sprayed it with green food spray. It was so much easier than spending an hour trying to kneed fondant into that color! The name Kayla was made with a dark brown base and I pasted some lighter brown fondant squares on the top with piping gel (lemon flavored...YUM!) Overall it was very fun to make and Kayla loved it :)

2 comments: